Friday, February 11, 2011

I See the Light

Over the last week I've been feeling a lot of doubt about my major. I haven't really been doing much of anything film-related lately, and I've been focusing more on my Torrey work. It feels more important to me, and in some ways it is. The Torrey program is probably the best possible path to follow for spiritual, mental and personal growth. But it has been taking over my life, and I've felt guilty about neglecting my other passions. I even began to doubt that they were anything more than vague interests. After leaving my non-Torrey desires on the shelf, they got a bit dusty.

Today I took down those old desires and dusted them off. In the afternoon I helped a friend with her directing project and I remembered how much I loved being on a film set, even though this was really just two film students, two actors, and a camera. Later in the evening I went to the opening night of Into the Woods. Before it started, there was a Q&A with the vocal director, one of the main cast, and the assistant director Amick Byram. Amick talked about the importance of storytelling and what a huge role it has played in history. This woke the slumbering storyteller inside of me, and seeing the play proved to me how influential a story can be.

I was very encouraged to find that I still very much enjoyed these previous passions of mine. It was encouraging to realize that I had neglected but never abandoned them. The joy of working on a film and seeing a play has inspired new confidence in me that I truly am in the right major. I am, have always been, and will always be a storyteller. I need to learn to balance my time between my passions, but half the battle is realizing what my passions are. Tonight I have remembered my passions, and I call them my own. I have remembered that I am passionate.

Now I'm here
Blinking in the starlight
Now I'm here
Suddenly I see
Standing here
It's oh, so clear
I'm where I'm meant to be


And at last, I see the light
And it's like the fog has lifted
And at last, I see the light
And it's like the sky is new
And it's warm and real and bright
And the world has somehow shifted
All at once
Everything looks different

3 comments:

  1. I like your closing poem at the end: perfectly reflective and contemplative. I understand what you mean about neglecting the things one really loves to attend the ever-pressing demands of education: my poetry books are a bit dusty too ;)
    I'm glad God gave you a few moments of clarity after so many brooding clouds of anxious, analytical thought. Love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't take credit for the poem, those are actually the lyrics from my favorite Tangled song. Look up "I See the Light" on YouTube and you can listen to it.

    It's definitely nice to have a little clarity to balance all the questions. I have a long path ahead, but God is shedding just enough light for each new step. I pray that you will see this in your life too. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I am basically randomly stalking you right now haha... you might not even remember me :]

    But I absolutely adore that song from Tangled and so I decided to read all of this post... and goodness, isn't it great to get back to something you really enjoy? something you started having doubts about? I feel like that happens to me all too often.

    Anyway, I'm glad you're doing well at biola&torrey :] I'm the girl you met while visiting there. I'm a year below you and I'm not going to be at biola, but I've got a bunch of friends going there, so I'll be around :] maybe we'll meet again!

    ReplyDelete