Sunday, March 20, 2011

Hymn on a Day of Rain


Where is the fire, Father,
that burned in my heart
those days past?
You do not change,
you did not put it out,
but still it did not last.
Was it the clouds of grey,
the uncertain sense of a storm
that put the fire out?
No longer black and white,
            the skyline’s dim and hazy,
expressing all my doubt.
It’s raining everywhere now;
            the whole world weeps,
            and I cry to feel again.
I know that water cleanses,
            showers bring new life;
            but first comes the pain.
My tears touch my face with salt;
            I wonder if I have to weep
            to find the flavor in my soul.
Must passion equate with suffering,
            can there be no other cup?
            Surely trial is life’s great toll.
Is not fire the greatest passion,
            do not flames also purify?
            Then, Abba, set me ablaze!
You created me a fire-water,
            always at war with myself;
            teach me harmony as I praise.
You called me to be a light,
            so I stare into the dark
and I am too afraid.
But “it is you who light my lamp;
            the Lord my God lightens my darkness”
            so, Father, come to your daughter’s aid!
Start your holy fire in my heart,
            flood my soul with lucid grace;
let me reflect your light’s beam.
I give you my fears and burdens
            in exchange for your free joy;
Father, you are my new dream!

1 comment:

  1. love your heart, love your words, your faith, and the truth in this. thanks for sharing it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete